Thursday, September 2, 2010

Leggings: The new sweat pant?

It's summer, so the fever has cooled down...leggings fever that is. I love that leggings allow you to wear curve hugging bottoms that are also comfortable and come in a variety of colors. I also love the capri or long option although I think capri leggings are for a very certain body type and CAN be misused and abused. With that being said, I'm recently seeing alot of...how do I say this nicely(cause you KNOW I aint nice)...sloppy and just unnecessary misuse of the godsend called the legging, such as; not matching colors correctly >

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
or not choosing leggings with enough fabric >

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
or not finding a pair of leggings with the appropriate length for your shoe choice >

Image and video hosting by TinyPic



I don't know what's so hard ladies, shit and gentleman because I know there are some men out there with legging fever and are most likely fucking it up as well.

So, here are 5 rules to live by so you're never THAT bitch.

1. KNOW YOUR SIZE. I know that some of us want to believe we're still just a large but boo, if your leggings are pulling so much that we see the plastic polymers (I SAID THAT SHIT TOO, POLYMERS BOO!) through the fabric, it's time to add the X baby. No shame in going up a size and looking fabulous, but there's no excuse for wearing a smedium when you're a slarge.

2. COORDINATE. It's universal: black goes with everything. It is NOT universal for all colors simply because mixing teal with magenta ain't hittin' it. Solid leggings are easily paired, colorful leggings are usually best paired with solid tops...get it? It's all a matter of isolating the drama in your outfit and playing it up with simple accents.

3. LENGTH CONSCIOUSNESS. Not all of us are model thin or have legs for days, that still isn't an excuse for letting your legging de-sexy your bottom half. If you're plus size, a longer legging is more flattering, it gives you a shapely silhouette and softens any lumps, bumps or humps. I do not reccommend capri leggings for a larger woman only because it can shape your thighs but leave your calves hangin'. If you're on the slim or athletic side you may want to consider capri leggings, it can really accentuate your toned calves.

4 KEEP THE SHOE IN MIND. If you're wearing capri style leggings then I shouldn't catch you in booties, I shouldn't catch you any boot that doesn't MEET and/or COVER the bottom of your leggings. Flats usually go really well with leggings, especially if it's a relaxed look. I don't condone the sneaker/legging combo unless you're getting your fitness on. I don't hate ugg's in fall so they're a total "GO" until I see snow, then I'm not sure who you're trying to fool with them raggedy, wet looking things.

and 5. DONT GO CRAZY Just because Beyonce has embellished leggings doesnt mean they're a good look...for you. Some people just cannot pull off the fancy legging, you know what I'm talking about, the ones with zippers, bells, whistles, tassels, french horns and mini bar on the side. If you don't know or are unsure if you should be wearing these flamboyant bottoms, then don't, step away from the rack and proceed to the scarf aisle.


I hope I helped someone today, or someones. If I did, leave an AMEN! Shit, if you're going to show this to someone who needs it send a double AMEN.


- Marfmellow

No comments:

Post a Comment